Sending a document for signature
- Sign into your eSign account.
- From your Dashboard click on either the Get a Document Signed link or the Send tab.
- Enter the email address(es) of the person(s) that will be participating in the process of the document. Those who will neither sign or approve, but need a final copy will need to be listed in the “CC” fields.
- Identify the role that each participant will have, and assign those roles to each participant by clicking on the dropdown menu located directly left of that party’s email address. The roles are defined as follows:
- Allowed Recipient Roles
- Signer: Recipients marked as signers require a signature field assigned to that recipient somewhere within the document.
- Approver: Recipients marked as approvers review and approve the document but they are not required to sign it. They may be required to enter data into fields.
- Delegator: Recipients marked as delegators may review the document but can’t sign, approve or accept the document or acknowledge its receipt. They need to forward the document to another user who may take the appropriate action.
- Acceptor: Recipients marked as acceptors are required to accept the document. They may be required to enter data into fields.
- Certified Recipient: Recipients marked as certified recipient are required to view and acknowledge the receipt of the document.
- Form Filler: Recipients marked as form fillers are required to enter data into the form fields and submit the document.
- Note: The 2 most commonly used roles are Signer and Approver.
- Allowed Recipient Roles
- Enter Agreement Name and Personalized Message (optional)
- If you do not enter an agreement name, the agreement name will inherit the name of the document that you will be uploading.
- If you do not enter a personalized message, the message that will be used will be the standard “Please review and complete this document” message. This message will appear in the email body of the signers and participants of the document.
- Upload the file(s) using either the Add files link or by dragging and dropping files directly from your File Explorer onto the eSign page. You may also link and upload directly from your Google Drive account using the Add Files option.
- eSign supports numerous file formats such as PDFs, Microsoft Office files, image files, and text files. Click here for a list of supported file types.
- You may select multiple files to upload into a single transaction. Regardless of the file type, they will all be converted into separate PDF files when exported, unless otherwise configured by your agency.
- Click on Next when done.
- The various types of fields you can insert into a document for a signer or participant to fill out can be located on the right hand pane. Each signer needs a Signature field assigned to them. All other fields are optional. The most common field type for any type of data is the Text Input field found under the Data Fields category. If you are unsure or unfamiliar which field to use, try the Text Input field.
- Select the party you are assigning the field to under the Recipients dropdown menu.
- Select the field type (ie Text input) for each field and drag it to the appropriate place within the document. If the system recognizes potential fields, it will indicate that on the top left portion of the document and allow you to automatically place those system recognized fields.
- Once you have added all fields, including Signature Fields, click Send.
Signing a document
- If you have been assigned as a participant to take action on a document, you will receive an email sent to you from eSign with a link that will redirect you to complete your portion of the process. This email will contain the following information
- Agreement Name and Sender
- Personalized message
- Link to sign the document
- Once you click on the Click here to review and Sign… link, you may be prompted to log in. If so, please use the same credentials you use to access your emails.
- While on the document, be sure to review the entire document before completing the fields.
- Pressing tab on your keyboard will help you navigate to the next field that has been assigned to you.
- If you have not yet entered a signature into your profile, you will have the option to do so when you click within the Signature field. Otherwise, you can use the Type option to enter a font-based signature. Click Apply when done.
- Once all required fields have been completed, a Click to Sign button will appear on the bottom of the page. Clicking that button will complete your portion of the transaction.
- Note: If you are designated as an Approver, the button will display Click to Approve.
Documents that you have sent out for signature, sent to you for signature or approval, or have been cc’d on can be found within the Manage tab of your Dashboard. From the Manage tab, you have the option of sending reminders to signers of a document that are still outstanding, cancelling a document that is currently out for signature, downloading a SECURED copy of an agreement, and many more.
**Please do not anticipate on the document residing within your Manage page indefinitely. DTS is in the process of determining, and subsequently implementing a document retention policy that will purge an agreement to meet Regulatory Compliance Requirements. Notice to our users will be made once that policy has been established**
Sending reminders to signers
Only available for those who initiated the document
- Click on the category found on the left hand side of the window called In Progress
- Highlight the agreement/document that is still outstanding
- Click on the option found on the right hand side labeled Reminder
- Specify the frequency of when this reminder will be sent out. Participants will stop receiving reminders once they’ve completed their part of the agreement.
- Specify who you want to remind.
- Include an optional message that will replace the default message within the eSign email that will be sent to the participants.
- You can create multiple reminders for a single agreement.
Cancel/Decline/Hide an agreement – Differences
Cancel Agreement – Senders may cancel an agreement anytime before the ALL signers have completed signing their respective portions of the document. However, once a document has been signed by all designated parties, the agreement may no longer be cancelled.
Decline Agreement – As a signer or approver, the option to cancel a document will be replaced by the option to decline. Only senders can cancel a document mid route. When declining to sign or approve an agreement, the person must state the reason for declining. This message will be sent to the original sender, as well as those who have already participated in the agreement routing process.
Hide Agreement – For auditing purposes, a user will not be able to fully delete a document. Users do, however, have the option to hide a document so that it no longer appears on their Manage page. The process to “Hide” an agreement is the same as cancelling, except the button label will change to reflect the action that clicking on that button will do, which is to hide it from view.
Replacing a signer
You have the option to change a signer or approver, but not delegator, while the document is still in process. To do so:
- Go to your Manage
- Click/highlight the document that you need to replace the signer for
- On the right hand panel, select the current recipient. You can only replace the current signer or approver, and not an upcoming signer. The option to replace the signer will only appear for the person the document is currently waiting on.
- Select Replace Signer.
- Enter the email address of the new recipient and click Replace.
To access your Personal Preferences, click on the top right hand corner of the screen where it says either your name or email address, and click on My Profile.
My Profile – It’s recommended you add your Phone Number and Job Title when you first access your account. This information will strictly be used when filling out forms. The text entered in these fields will auto-populate on forms that request for this information.
Access Tokens – If you are a developer, this is where your API tokens are defined and listed
Auto Delegation – Any agreements sent to you for signature can be automatically delegated to an alternate signer. To enable automatic delegation enter the email address of the alternate signer below. If you do not want to enable automatic delegation, leave this value blank.
My Events/Alerts – Configure which types of events/alerts you want eSign to notify you about, and how you want to be notified. You can get real time email, or log the event and set up reporting on a daily or weekly cycle. (Events are triggers when something happens. Alerts are triggered when a time interval passes and something doesn’t happen).
Shared Events/Alerts – If another user’s account is shared with you, you can customize which of their events and alerts you’d like to be informed of.
Upload an electronic version of your signature.
- Click on My Signature located on the left pane column
- Under the Your Saved Signature option, click Create
- If you are accessing this option from a device that has touchscreen capabilities, enter your signed signature under the Draw option, then click Apply. If you are accessing this option from a non-touch screen capable device, such as a desktop, click on the last option titled Mobile and enter a valid phone number that can receive text messages, can access the internet, and is touch screen capable.
- Note: The phone number that you enter in this step will not be used or saved for any purpose, other than sending a 1 time link so that you may be redirected to an eSign page to input a signature using your mobile device. Once you log out of your account, this phone number will be removed from the system.
- Click on the link within the text message you just received on the mobile number you entered. You will have 5 minutes to enter a signature. Once you’ve entered a signature, click on Done.
- This will automatically add the signature you just created into your profile.
- Note: If you fail to enter a signature within 5 minutes, or if you are not satisfied with the signature you entered and would like to replace it, repeat step 3. There is no limit on how many attempts you can make in entering and saving a signature.
- Repeat the same steps to enter and save your initials.
Language Preferences – This setting allows you to define the language used for you within the eSign web application.
View Other Accounts – If you need to view the agreements on another user’s account, you can request that here. A list of all viewed accounts will be enumerated. This is a “read only” perspective
Share My Account – If you need to share your account to another person, you can specify who can see your agreements here. Sharing your account is a view only. The viewer cannot sign, cancel or delegate
Document Attachment Limit Reached
We have custom limits for allowed attachments affecting all State of Utah employees utilizing eSign. Attaching a file or document that exceeds either the acceptable file size limit, or page count will not be allowed. The file size limits are as follows:
- Total number of pages: 500
- Supporting Documents/Attachment pages: 150
- Attachment file size: 25 MB
Acceptable file types that can be uploaded may be found here.
Getting an Access Denied or Deactivated error message after logging is most commonly caused by an interruption to your account settings. Email DTSeSign@utah.gov to have your account settings reset.
Duplicate eSign Account
If you have tried logging into your new account and do not see the State of Utah seal located on the top left corner of your eSign Dashboard, it is likely that you are not accessing your enterprise account but rather a personal eSign account.
If you’ve previously had an eSign account prior to being added to our enterprise license, you will receive the email shown below to have you migrate it over. Be aware that if you elect to Archive your account, it will remove all content and will not be retrievable. Said documents will not be migrated to your new enterprise account.
**ONLY FOR USERS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY HAD eSIGN**